Pietro Coletta 

Bari, 1948

Biography

Pietro Coletta was born in Bari in 1948 and moved to Milan in 1967. Here he attended the Brera Academy, where he attended courses by Marino Marini, Alik Cavaliere and Lorenzo Pepe. Since the seventies he has been a player in sculptural research with interventions that originally questioned the meaning of the material used through a clever game of optical and spatial illusion.

Main exhibitions

The first personal exhibitions were held in the early 1970s at the l’Agrifoglio Gallery, then in 1973 in Genoa at the Galleria Unimedia and in Verona at the Galleria Ferrari, while the following year he was in Turin at the Galleria Primo Piano and later at the Galleria Il sole in Bolzano. This was followed by important participation in many of the main national and international exhibitions: from the San Fedele Prize in Milan to the XV Festival dei due Mondi in Spoleto; from the Quadriennale in Rome in 1975 to Pittura Ambiente at the Palazzo Reale in Milan in 1979, at the Lenbachhaus in Munich, at the Hayward Gallery in London in Arte Italiana 1960-82, at the Power Gallery in Sydney and at the University Art Museum in Brisbane, at the Venice Biennale, Italian Pavilion. In 1984 he participated in “Building the Illusion” at the ELAC of Contemporary Art in the town of Lyon. In the meantime, in 1976 he had a solo exhibition at Galleria Martano in Turin and in 1978 at Studio Luca Palazzoli in Milan before exhibiting again in Verona and in 1981 at Studio Stendhal in Milan and at Galleria Centrosei in Bari. In 1983 he exhibited at the Salt Market in Milan and the following year at the Studio Dossi in Bergamo, in 1985 at the Galleria Il Sole in Bolzano and then again at the Galleria Stendhal. In 1987 the PAC in Milan hosted a personal exhibition and in 1988 he exhibited at the Belvedere Gallery in Milan. In 1990 he exhibited at the Toyama Biennial in Japan and a solo show at Studio G7 in Bologna, in 1992 he participated in the exhibition “Candencias” at the Sofia Imber Museum in Caracas, at the Bogotà Museum and in Buenos Aires and the following year at the Neos Gallery, Bari. In 1995 in Mantua he exhibited at his solo show at the Galleria del Disegno and the following year he inaugurated the permanent installation at the Museo d’Arte Contemporanea in Tortolì, then in 2000 again in Mantua and the following year at the Galleria Milano.
In 2004 he participated in “Scultura italiana 1960-2004” at the Parco Scultura “La Palomba” in Matera and at the Fondazione Mudima in Milan and in the “Sacra conversazione. Girolamo Romanino and Pietro Coletta” Centro Culturale San Fedele. In 2005 he participated in the “Italian sculpture of the twentieth century” at the Arnaldo Pomodoro Foundation in Milan. Finally, in 2006, he exhibited “Mitos – Myths and archetypes in the sea from knowledge” at the Byzantine and Christian Museum of Athena, and later in Tirana, Monte Carlo and Cyprus; in 2007, “Spirit into Shape – Contemporary Italian Sculpture” at the Italian Embassy in Washington and his personal exhibition at the Drawing Gallery of Mantua and the exhibition accompanying the permanent installation Ianua in Noci.  In 2009 he created the permanent installation “Essenza del volo, volo dell’essenza” at UCLA University of Los Angeles and in 2010 he exhibited at the Galleria Soleluna in Piacenza, while in 2013 he participated in the International Sculpture Festa 2013, Hangaram Museum, Seul Arts Center and the Mudima Foundation hosted an important solo exhibition.  For the last three years he has been a professor of sculpture at the Brera Academy of Fine Arts in Milan. Some of his sculptures are currently on long-term loan at the Bocconi Art Gallery, at Villa Recalcati in Varese in the courtyard of the Conservatory of Milan. Since 2016 he has been a member of the Accademia Nazionale di San Luca.